Saturday, August 18, 2007

Hate Crime Laws - Reverse Discrimination

Many of the conservatives on the Internet do not seem to understand the concept of a hate crime law. They were up in arms about a vicious attack on a young white couple by some black youths that didn’t receive enough national attention, in their opinion. They said this should be considered a hate crime, that all violent crimes are committed with hate. I do not know the extent of the torture in this case. I did not read the article.

George Will is clearly an educated, highly intelligent man. Nevertheless, he cannot grasp the significance of a hate crime law? I’m not buying it. He says it is “enhanced punishments for crimes committed because of thoughts that government especially disapproves…Mind-reading juries are required to distinguish causation from correlation.”

Hate crime laws are necessary when there has been a history of violence and cruelty toward minorities and where the abusers have the power to get away with it. Motive is a fundamental component of our justice system and always has been.

It is a very hateful country we live in and I don’t know why when everybody here has it better than most of the people in the world. That’s not to say that there is not real suffering. The hatred displayed in these articles and posts is palpable. The thing that strikes me most about you people is that you only look at a situation – any situation – how it affects you.

I’m an outsider. I have experienced your wrath, you’ve called me names, made a lot of assumptions but mostly just refused to listen to what I have to say. I know what I’m talking about.

People like you who have had it with affirmative action and hate crimes and the politically correct this and that have never considered for one minute what it would be like to be that black child in that moment of realization that your world is not what it seems. Talk about losing your innocence. Talk about having your childhood snatched away.

It’s an ugly, ugly thing. And you people have never owned it and you’re not fooling anybody.

May 5, 2007

No comments: